Today I want to broach the issue of Hannah's situation in cassette 5B.
Besides I think it is time to write about the message of the book and the intention of the author.
After Clay had left Hannah, she hid in a wardrobe, because Justin Foley and Jessica Davis, who was drunk, entered the room. Jessica was so drunk that she was not able to speak anymore and she laid on the bed. Nobody recognized that Hannah was in the same room.
Then the situation got out of control. A guy, named Bryce Walker, noticed Justin and Jessica being in this room. And of course he also noticed Jessicas drunken condition. Bryce Walker convinced Justin letting him into the room. And - what a surprise - Justin allowed it although he could imagine whereupon Bryce zeroed in.
Bryce Walker raped Jessica Davis and Justin Foley and Hannah Baker did nothing against it.
So I think this reason for Hannah to commit suicide is different from the other reasons, because for the first time Hannah feels very guiltily. When you begin to hate yourself, life will be even more harder then it already is. So tell me: What remained for Hannah ?
I think the question is already answered : Nothing.
Let's come to my second topic in this blog post entry. What is the author trying to tell us?
As you probably already know is the author's name 'Jay Asher'. I was asking myself what he motivated to write '13 reasons why'. Maybe he was bullied in school or he thought about suicide. I researched information about him at the internet and I found out that he has a close relative who attempted suicide when she was a junior in high school. Asher was inspirated by an audiotour and his idea of the book came up while he was in a museum.
I think Asher wants to tell us the fact that we do affect each other in ways we can't predict. He appeals to act consciously.
I hope so much that everyone who reads this book learns to act responsibly and not to look away when he sees a person which is in a suicidal mood.
But let's face it!
'The Bryces' in this world don't read such books. So I support reading this book in school, because then the persons who are like Bryce are constrained to read it.
Maybe the world would be a better place if everyone read '13 reasons why' and thought of his behaviour.
In this spirit I would like to quote Jay Asher from the perspective of Hannah :
"A lot of you cared, just not enough."
"No one knows for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue. Yet we push it just the same."
Feel free to tell me your opinion about this two topics. I look forward to read from you ;-)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen